Mini Sprite Editor is a small pixel art tool i developed out of mostly boredom (or at least it started that way) in a weekend using Visual Basic 5. Since the first version i added a few extra features and fixed a couple of bugs, but the version you can download from this site is more or less the same.
- Lightweight low resolution sprite editing tool
- Realtime tiled view for editing tiles (like bricks, etc)
- Palette management without forcing 8bit images
- Separate colors for left and right buttons
- Color key transparency
- Make a brush from part of an image (shift+drag)
- Alpha blending when painting (brushes too!)
- Set a color as a mask to affect only that (for color replacing, etc)
- Shortcut keys optimized for pixel editing (shift, flip, rotate)
- Animation support with realtime precise tiled preview
- Save and load BMP files for simple static sprites
- A simple custom file format for animated sprites
- Export to numbered image frames (for use with external tools)
- Works on any 32bit and 64bit Windows machine (including Wine)
Click here to download Mini Sprite Editor 1.0.7. This is a zip archive that contains the program's setup and source code inside another archive called source.zip.